If you are having a procedure under General Anaesthetic, Spinal or Sedation, you will be required to fast before your procedure.
We ask people to fast as when your body is under sedation its reflexes are temporarily shut down. If there is anything in your stomach, this could cause the contents to come back up into your throat which could cause vomiting or choking.
If you fail to adhere to the fasting instructions will have to cancel your surgery for your own safety.
In general, you will need to fast for 6 hours prior to your admission time.
To fast you need to follow the below instructions:
- Do not eat solid foods for 6 hours prior to your procedure
- Do not drink fizzy drinks, dairy products or dairy substitutes for 6 hours prior to your procedure
- You can drink clear fluids until 2 hours prior to your admission
- Clear Fluids are water, black tea or black coffee
- Do not eat sweets or chewing gum at all on the day of admission
- You can take any medications with small sips of water (unless you have been advised to stop taking them)